Wednesday 17 August 2011

Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres

MY RATING: 4/5

BLURB:
Retra doesn't want to go to Ixion, the island of ever-night. Retra is a Seal - sealed minds, sealed community. She doesn't crave parties and pleasure like all the others. But her brother left for Ixion two years ago, and Retra is determined to find him. 

Braving the pain of her obedience strip to escape the only home she's ever known, Retra finds herself drawn deeper into the intoxicating world of Ixion. Come to me, whispers a voice in her head. Who are the Ripers, the mysterious guardians of Ixion? What are the night creatures Retra can see in the shadows? And what happens to those too old for Ixion? 

Retra will find that Ixion has it's pleasure - but it's secrets are deadly. 

REVIEW: 
I loved Burn Bright. It was a well written and very believable world.

Burn Bright is a story of a girl, Retra, who decides to leave her home and seek out her brother, Joel. Joel left for Ixion two years ago, desperate to get away from everything and seek the pleasure that everyone does to Ixion. Retra encounters more complications than she was expecting once she arrives to Ixion. The Ripers, the night creatures, even the other people in Ixion can be a worry some times. But Retra is determined. She will find her brother and convince him to leave with her. 

I loved the characters in the story so much. Retra was interesting; so afraid of everything, scared to have people see her or touch her, I guess that is what it would have been like being a Seal. Even though she seemed so afraid of everyone she always speaks her mind, sticks up for what she believes in and does anything she can to protect the ones that she loves. I hated Cal, but I think I was meant to. Brand and some of the other Ripers really creeped me out, but they were interesting characters. I liked Lenoir. I don't really know why, he is mysterious and confusing. It is very intriguing to me, I want to find out more. I instantly liked Suki and Rollo grew on me eventually. 

Some parts of the story were a little confusing at times, as there wasn't much explanation behind Retra's world. But I really enjoyed the way that it was written. There was no long stories behind everything that Retra was doing, it jumped straight into everything and you learned along the way. Sometimes long descriptions of the world that characters live in can get annoying and boring, so I really enjoyed the way that you were just thrown into it and had to learn things throughout the story. 

I really liked this book and look forward to reading Angel Arias. There were lots of questions raised in Burn Bright, but in a way that the first book is just establishing the story still, so it wasn't annoying. But I am looking forward to having some of those questions answered. 

There was some mature content in this books I would probably recommend for 15+

For other reviews of Burn Bright check out: 
The Tales Compendium
Irresistible Reads
Ink Crush

Jammie the Book Nerd 
xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment