Monday 23 July 2012

Betrayal by Amber Garr

MY RATING: 4/5
SERIES: The Syrenka Series Book 2

BLURB: 
Life as a mermaid can be suffocating. 

Eviana Dumahl has returned home as a clan leader, an orphan, and a heartbroken teenage girl. Her parents are dead and her boyfriend, Brendan, has decided that he needs some time away. While battling her inner turmoil, Eviana is forced into the war that Lucien Sutherland has incited amongst her own kind. With the help of Kain, her friend and formally betrothed, the two work together to prove that they deserve their birthrights as young merfolk leaders. 

When the council requests a demonstration of Eviana's mermaid powers she finds herself with an opportunity to win back Brendan's heart. But her orders to train with a repulsive merman and the presence of an attractive new suitor challenges Eviana to embrace her leadership and resist temptation. Lucian is after her, and no one seems to understand why. Loyalties are tested as the casualties increase, showing Eviana that sometimes it is impossible to delineate between friends and enemies. 

Betrayal is the second book of The Syrenka Series trilogy following Eviana and her friends as they navigate through the challenges of existing in a secret world. 

MY REVIEW: 
As with the first book I loved the pace of the story, there was never a dull moment. I was almost on the edge of my seat the whole time wanting to know what was going to happen. Quite a few things that I was not at all expecting. Loved this one just as much as Promises, if not more. 

Betrayal is the second book in The Syrenka Series, you can find my review of the first book Promises here. Eviana is sent away to try and strengthen her powers in preparation for the upcoming war. Attacks are happening everywhere, harming, and even killing, some of Eviana's friends and family, Lucian is behind it all and he is still after Eviana, but why? 

As I think everyone has, based on the title I assumed that someone was going to betray Eviana in this book. Although there turned out to be more than just one betrayal, I had a suspicion of a particular person right from the beginning (which turned out to be right), but throughout the book I just couldn't be sure. I had no idea what to expect, and that was something I really enjoyed. After the first book in the series we knew (or at least I assumed) there was a particular reason Lucian wanted Eviana, and while a reason was revealed to us, I am still not sure if it is the whole reason. So I can't wait to start the next book Arise and find out what is going to happen. 

I can't really think of much to say about the characters. I think we definitely got to see Brendan's love for Eviana more in this book and understand him more as character, but I do not like Brendan any more. I can understand his situation, but I still don't like him. I like Kain's character, and am hoping to see a romance develop between him and Eviana in the next book, I guess we'll just have wait to see. Graham was a new character introduced to the story in Betrayal. While I liked his character, and the flirting with Eviana was fun, I felt a bit like if Eviana was so in love with Brendan then she wouldn't be so attracted to Graham. So that was all a little weird for me. 

I enjoyed this book just as much as the first one, should definitely check it out if you have read Promises, and if you haven't I would highly recommend you give it a go. I am super excited to get started on Arise

Thank you so much to  the author, Amber Garr, for sending me a copy. Having tons of fun with this series. 

Jammie the Book Nerd
<3

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Jammie and I'm happy to see you enjoying the series! :)

    ReplyDelete