Monday 30 July 2012

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

MY RATING: 5/5

BLURB: 
Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away. 

Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone. 

Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her - and more if she'll let him. 

But who can she trust amidst the secrets and lies? A killer is out there - and Amy has nowhere to hide. . . 

MY REVIEW: 
I LOVED this book! I couldn't put it down. I started it on Saturday night and then spent the whole next day reading it. I just wanted to know what was going to happen! The nerd in me absolutely loved all of the sciencey stuff. Don't let that scare you away though. It's not so much that it'd be confusing for anyone with no knowledge in science. Which I also really liked. 

Amy and her parents have been frozen and sent into space, travelling to a new planet they know nothing about. When for no apparent reason Amy is awoken from her frozen sleep 50 years early. Why was she woken up? Who woke her up? What's really going on? Godspeed is a ship full of secrets and lies. And it all comes down to why. . . 

The whole idea that this ship, Godspeed, had been flying for 250 years, that it has its own history of the people aboard it really intrigued me. I loved the writing of this book. I just felt like certain aspects of it were written amazingly (not to say all of it wasn't, there were just certain parts that stood out for me). I felt like Amy's consciousness while she was frozen was captured really well, I felt like I was stuck in nothingness with her. Conscious, but with no sense of how much time had passed, she had no idea if she had only just been frozen or if 300 years had already passed. 

I definitely loved all of the characters. I can see myself getting even more attached to them through the rest of the series. Harley broke my heart. I loved Elder; I am very interested to see how he'll handle things in the next book. I liked Amy's character except for a few things. Her childishness annoyed me a bit at times, saying momma and daddy. But I am also excited to see how she is going to react with what we learned about her at the very end of the book. 

So many secrets! I actually figured out exactly who the killer was about 80 pages in, but there was definitely lots of other stuff I would never have seen coming. I still can't stop thinking about it all. I don't know what else to say without spoiling everything. I went in not really knowing anything, not knowing what to expect and I loved it that way. I would highly recommend checking it out! I cannot wait to get myself a copy of the second book. I'll be keeping an eye out. 

Jammie the Book Nerd
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment