Friday 15 June 2012

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

MY RATING: 3/5


BLURB: 
my wish
is to fall
cranium over Converse
in dizzy, daydream-worthy
love. 

(If only it were that easy.)

When her parents split, Marcie is dragged from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She leaves behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father. By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marci suspects this "vacation" has become permanent. She starts at a new school where a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. 

But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it? 

MY REVIEW: 
This was my first verse novel. Just as I was starting it I was a little hesitant about it being a verse novel, but after you get used to it, it flows really nicely. I don't feel as though you got to know most of the other characters very much, and I didn't expect it to end as it did. All in all it was a fun quick read for me. 

I didn't feel as though you got to know the other characters very well. We got to know Marcie pretty well, as we were reading the story through her poems, etc. but I felt that this kind of almost took away from the other characters. It may have been this way intentionally, so that the whole book is focused more on Marcie's story, but I am personally a big fan of well developed side characters. 

I can't really say much about the other characters, I would have liked more about Marcie and J.D.'s relationship, even Marcie and Linus's to understand them more. Love and Leftovers is a great story about things we all go through in life. 
Jammie 
<3

P.s. I just remembered that I wanted to add this quote. Some of the writing really surprised/weirded me out at times. It was strange. She is in the bath by the way.

"I relax
floating up with each breath
and sinking when I exhale, 
my nipples bobbing
like bouys
on Great Bay." - Love and Leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment