Friday 18 May 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

MY RATING: 4/5
SERIES: The Mortal Instruments Book 5

BLURB: 
Jace is now a servant of evil, bound for all eternity to Sebastian. Only a small band of Shadowhunters believe he can be saved. To do this they much defy the Clave. And they must act without Clary. For Clary s playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace's soul. 

Clary is willing to do anything for Jace, but can she trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love? 

REVIEW:
I am going to do my best to write a proper review without spoilers and without just gushing about how much I love Cassandra Clare's books. She is just amazingly brilliant! Although I would not recommend reading this review if you have not read City of Fallen Angels, or you want to stay away from all things City of Lost Souls, as I will be mentioning a few thing about the characters.

City of Lost Souls picks up two weeks after the events at the end of City of Fallen Angels, Jace is missing and they have not been able to track them. I don't know how much else I can say without spoiling anything. Everybody does some dangerous stuff, and everything is super exciting.

I think one of the main reasons that I love Clare's book so much has to be her characters. They are just so amazing, every single character has so much depth and their own stories. Which I like because it's realistic, everyone has their own life stories. I love getting to know the characters stories, even small characters like Maia and Jordan and the Lightwoods parents, we get to know all of their stories and learn about them. Secondary characters are part of what really makes a story for me.

I really enjoyed the development of Simon and Izzy's relationship. It's kind of like just admit how you feel to each other! Why can you not see how the other feels about you! But they are just both so clueless, Simon because I mean he doesn't think anyone like Izzy would ever be interested in someone like him, she's beautiful, and he's just a nerdy guy. And Izzy doesn't know how to do anything about what she's feeling. She's just so used to dating guys and it doesn't mean anything. She is so cute and funny!


I really loved Clary in this book. I just absolutely love the person that she has become. She is such a strong female protagonist, what she had to do!! Those of you that have read  the book will know what I'm talking about. I also really liked Simon a lot more. I didn't really feel for him much in the first three books, he kind of grew on my in City of Fallen Angels, but I really started to like him in this one.

Sebastian kind of really interested me while reading this. It could just be me, but because I am so used to just thinking of him as this evil, demon I guess. I have forgotten that he is still a shadowhunter and he has all the same knowledge that Jace and the others do. He wasn't brought up in a cave. I know he is supposed to be totally evil and all but I just can't help but be fascinated with him. His lack of real feelings, and the confusion when he does feel anything. I am so looking forward to City of Heavenly Fire.

So, I know this wasn't the best review. I have trouble reviewing books that I really love, because I just want to gush and talk all spoilery about everything that happened. But I think I can definitely say that the ending to this series is not going to disappoint and I am actually really kind of looking forward to it, not in terms of the series ending, I don't want that to happen, but I just want to know what happens. After read City of Fallen Angels, and City of Lost Souls I don't know how I would ever have been satisfied with the series ending with City of Glass. It just seemed so unfinished. I think Clare will deliver a satisfying yet possibly horribly heart breakingly amazing ending to the series. I seriously look forward to anything written by Cassandra Clare in the future.

If you haven't read The Mortal Instruments series I would highly recommend going and getting the first book in the series City of Bones right now! I can't wait to see the cover of City of Heavenly Fire, who do you think will be on the cover? I was thinking Clary to go with the theme, because first was her and Simon, then her and Jace, I have been thinking maybe her and Sebastian. What do you think?

Jammie the Book Nerd
<3  

P.s. I really hope I didn't spoil anything in this review, but if you feel as though I did please let me know in the comments and I will edit or warn spoilers. Thanks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment